Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here at Judith Maslen Parchment Craft we have been in the parchement craft scene for a number of years and know that there is no such thing as a daft question, especially when you are starting out with this lovely craft. Over the years we have collected quite a few useful hints and tips which you can find over at the Hints and Tips page. However if you woudl like to know more about a particular aspect of parchment craft which we have not covered here, please feel free to drop us a line on JudithMaslen.firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll do our best to answer!
Q - Do I need masses of really expensive tools to start parchment craft?
A - No absolutely not! All you need are a few key tools (listed below), some parchment and a pattern and you can get started. If you are new, then have a look at our Keep It Simple patterns which are especially desinged for those new to the craft or for those more experienced crafters who want something nice and simple to quickly do.
the ball tools, you can also buy PCA shaders, which are metal loops of various
sizes. By using these flat, or on
their sides or corners, you can emboss lines or areas of differing thicknesses.
If I were to recommend just one of these shaders, it would be the largest
size as I find I can emboss most things with this tool.
Perforating tools. I mainly use Pergamano tools. Other makes are available but I find these work with my designs and most students in my workshops already have them.
Q - How can I find a teacher?
A - In most areas of the country you can find a local tutor who will run classes or be able to provide you with private tuition. I can also thoroughly recommend Parchment Craft Magazine which has lots of useful hints and tips as well we often instructional articles on techniques. If you would be interested in learning how to do Judith's patterns specifically then do check out our Workshops page where you will find dates when Judith is teaching in Hampshire and wider afield .
Q - I don't have a PayPal account. Can I still buy patterns?
A - We are happy to take payment by cheque or money order, UK banks only however. Please see ordering information.
Q - I don't want downloads. Can I buy printed patterns?
A - When placing your order there is the option to have printed copies sent to you for a small printing and postage charge.
Q - I have purchased downloads but I cannot find them in my Inbox?
A - If you have more than one email address then the one stored in your PayPal account is the one to which we send your downloads. Also, please check in your spam folder. If you still have a problem then plesae send a message to JudithMaslen.email@example.com
Q - My patterns have arrived as downloads from WeTransfer. Why is this?
A - Very occasionally your patterns are returned from some email addresses as they cannot be delivered for a variety of reasons. In this instance we find using WeTransfer solves the problem.
Q - How do I place an order on your website?
A - At the bottom of each pattern page you will find "Buy Now" buttons which you simply click to add a pattern to your shopping cart. Make sure you click on the correct button as patterns can either be ordered as downloads (links to download and save the pattern onto your computer for you to print out will be sent to you at the end of your transaction) or alternatively if you prefer to recieve printed copies of the patterns please choose the "hard copies posted" purchase button for each pattern which will result in postage being added to your order. Please note that if your order is mixed between download and hard copies you will be charged postage so please double-check you've not created a mixed order before you complete your transaction - this should be quite easy to see as patterns being sent as downloads will have a "D" in their order code. For this latter reason please do not create mixed orders for patterns and workshop course bookings.
Q - What format can I get the patterns in?
We are very excited to announce that we are now offering instant electronic downloads for patterns which will incur no shipping charges! Please see further details in the Ordering Information section of our site. We will, of course, continue to offer printed patterns via post for those who prefer this option. If you are ordering downloads using your secure Paypal account, please ensure that the email address stored in your Paypal account settings is correct as this is the email to which we will send the patterns. If you use Firefox as your internet browser you may find that the patterns open up in the Firefox PDF viewer rather than Adobe Acrobat which can result in problems when printing patterns out. To fix this, please follow these simple instructions.
We now have two methods for receiving your order:
1. Electronic download - use the "Buy Now" buttons in the "download" column for each pattern you wish to order. Once you have completed your order and payment has been received, you will be sent a link to allow you to download and save a copy of the pattern pack(s) you have purchased. Download links expire after 7 days.
2. Printed patterns by post - use the "Buy Now" buttons in the "hard copies posted" column for each pattern you wish to order. Once you have completed your order and payment has been received, your patterns will be dispatched to you via post. Please allow up to 21 days for delivery (though we'll send it off to you as quickly as possible of course!)
We now have three methods for paying for an order:
1. For online payment by debit/credit card or PayPal - please add items to your cart by clicking the 'Buy Now' button you will find on each pattern page. You can review your cart contents at any time by clicking on the 'Show Cart' button on each page and the quantity of each item can be altered by changing the number to the right of the description in the cart and then clicking the 'Recalculate' button. When you have finished adding items to your cart, simply click the 'Go to Payments' button and follow the onscreen instructions.
2. To place an order for payment by cheque (UK banks only) - please add items to your cart by clicking the 'Buy Now' button you will find on each pattern page. You can review your cart contents at any time by clicking on the 'Show Cart' button on each page and the quantity of each item can be altered by changing the number to the right of the description in the cart and then clicking the 'Recalculate' button. When you have finished adding items to your cart, simply click the 'Go to Payments' button and follow the onscreen instructions checking the 'Cheque (UK banks only)' button at the payments screen.
3. If you do not have the facility to pay by card or cheque, we can now also accept postal orders. Please see the Post Office website (click here to be taken to the correct page) and look at the drop-down list at the bottom of the page to see if postal orders are available in your country.
Please note that we normally try and dispatch postal delivery orders within 2-3 days of receipt of payment, however there are times of the year when it may take a little longer - but we can assure you your order will be acknowledged upon receipt with an estimated dispatch date which will always be within 21 days. Download patterns will be available as soon as payment has been received, however the links will expire after 7 days so please ensure to save the files to your computer before the 7 days ends.
All transactions for JudithMaslen.co.uk take place under United Kingdom law and legislation.
Please note that all patterns are supplied with instructions written in English - translations are not provided.
Send an e mail to JudithMaslen.firstname.lastname@example.org
if you cannot see a pattern you are looking for on the site or